Let’s start by listening to this song by Matt Redman- Angels (singing Gloria)
Main Bible Verse: Luke 2:8:15:
- What were the main roles of the angels mentioned in the song and in the bible verses above?
- Why was the good news of Jesus’ birth important in heaven as well as earth?
With Jesus meeting with the tax collector Zacchaeus, and his transformation after their talk. (Luke 19:1-10)
Jesus sums it up himself, that the reason he came to earth was: That he came to seek and save those who were lost. (Luke 19:v10)
But what else do angels do other than bring messages and praise God?
Main theme: What are angels and what do they do?
Hebrews 1:14: What role then, do the angels have? The angels are spirit messengers sent by God to serve those who are going to be saved. (The Passion Translation)
They were like us, a creation of God. (Colossians 1:16)
They are invisible but can take on human form as seen on occasions in the bible. (Gen. 18-19)
They are powerful, one angel destroyed 185,000 Assyrian soldiers in one night. ( 2 Kings 19:35)
There is an untold number of angels, so many that it would be impossible to count them (Hebrews 12:22).
Even though they have all those attributes mentioned above, they are not to be worshipped by us.
- What picture comes to mind when you try to imagine how many angels there are?
- How does it make you feel that angels are mighty and powerful against an evil force?
Angels protect God’s Children:
They direct us when we are confused. (Acts 11:13)
In times of crisis, they strengthen. (Luke22:43) Remember this was Jesus before going to the cross.
In times of sickness, they can assist us (John 5)
When in desperate times they can encourage us. (Gen. 16:10-11)
When in danger they can protect us. (91:11-12)
- Have you or Parent/carer, been in a situation where you could have badly been hurt, but were protected? (Discuss)
- At the time did you think it was angels that protected you? (Discuss)
- How do you feel about it now?
There are many modern-day stories of people who have been protected from serious harm by angelic beings. Sometimes they have seen them, but in other cases not.
We can be comforted that we are not alone and that God has given us angels to look out for us and that they rejoice in heaven when a person gives their life to Christ. (Luke 15:10)
Heavenly Father, thank you for dispatching your angels to protect, strengthen, assist, direct, and encourage me in my life, enabling me to fulfill all the things you want me to do today and in the future.
I pray in Jesus’ name.